mardi 15 février 2011

They said, "Take a hike!" So I said, "I'm taking a hike!"



Today was a good day. We had the day off for Mawloud, the holiday that celebrates the prophet Mohamed's birth. I got up bright and early for an 8 a.m. hike with a motley crew: three French folks, an American guy, a Malian guy and a lovely woman from Benin who may or may not be a nun. If my French were better, I could tell you for certain.

I was prepared for a long hike straight up one of the very steep hills that cradles Bamako. Fortunately, we carpooled most of the way up. The walk itself was pretty much on the plateau part of the hill -- if you're really nerdy, you can look at the blog post about the marathon to see the hill where we were hiking. I also got to see the Point G hospital and medical university, as well as this gorgeous music conservatory that was built there recently. The conservatory is in the process of building a performance space that's gonna be really special when it's done. I can't wait to go and support them.

I came home and decided it was hot enough for my first proper swim in the pool. You may look at this picture and think -- what a terrible sunburn! But never fear, it's only dust. Red dust. Pretty much any time I come home, I bring home red dirt on my skin and clothes. It brings out my eyes.

Anyway, I stood on the edge of the pool for a good long while, debating whether to get in, until I realized that me and my bikini were attracting attention from the construction site overlooking part of my yard -- so I moved three feet to the left, where the house shielded me, and stood at the edge of the pool a few minutes more. A lady cannot be rushed. And I can't be either.

In addition to the exciting hobby of standing next to pools, I've also picked up on porch-sitting in a serious way. I've become quite the enthusiast. I could sit on my porch for an hour in the morning and two hours in the afternoon and still not get enough. There's something about the green in the garden and the dryness in the air...or the blue of the sky? It's fun to watch my bananas grow? I don't know what it is. But I know that I like it, and if I do it often enough, my butt will make a permanent impression on my patio chair, making my porch-sitting habit even more enjoyable.

Last, I'd say that if you get a chance to watch the Guineen film Le Ballon d'Or, watch it. I saw it tonight for the first time at the French Cultural Center, and am really glad I went. Good stuff. I may or may not have teared up, though to be honest, that happens to me during most every sports-related movie.

1 commentaire:

  1. Love the red dirt. I look like that after an afternoon in Florida, but it's not clay.

    RépondreSupprimer